Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Parenting Nightmares

Our fetal baby is only 16 weeks old and I had my first parenting nightmare last night. I am sure it is largely due to the stress I am currently feeling at work. The dream was really long and drawn out but it was essentially me trying to keep track of a quick moving toddler. Now that I think about it, it was a lot like the MC Escher stair scene from the end of Labrynth. Except there was no David Bowie in a cod piece (thank goodness) but rather a younger guy with no face wearing a puffy black vest.
By the way, the baby/toddler was a girl in a light pink coat and dark pink pants with white shoes and short dark hair.
You parents out there, how early and how often did/do you have anxiety dreams about your kids?

5 comments:

SLP said...

Well, if you want to know the truth, I had nightmares 3 times a week that T would either die/have an affair and leave me to raise a child by myself. The other 4 nights I would dream that the baby would have something wrong with him etc. So pretty regularly I guess...welcome to parenting: it never ends!

Fern said...

I first had parenting nightmares when I was pregnant. And I continue to have them still, but they always seem to be worse (or at least more frequent) during pregnancy. And as you have found out for yourself, they can be extremely strange! It's just natural I suppose.

Anonymous said...

I had a panic attack in the middle of Babys R Us the other day. Does that count?

--a secretly pregnant fried

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I'm a nanny and I have fear dreams about the kids! They're toddlers and I never let them out of my sight- it's a pretty stressful job as I'm sure you parents know, and naturally during my day at work I am constantly aware of dangerous scenarios, it can make you paranoid and even overprotective. Most of mine involve me making some mistake I would never make in real life, such as leaving the kid alone in a bathtub and finding them drowned (and then of course having to face the parents). My mom used to tell me she'd had nightmares about me, but wouldn't say what they were, so I guess it's normal.