Friday, April 25, 2008

Awesome Aerodynamics Batman! (updated)

As many of you know, I ride a Harley. But a fact that you perhaps don't know is that I use a windshield. It is not a Harley brand windshield, which some may consider blaspheme, but for the time being I consider it frugal. The point of this post is to talk about how a little change I made in the angle of my windshield made the world of difference. Two nights ago I had a very, very small epiphany. I had a picture come into my head of the stock OEM Harley windshield and I noticed that the windshield was at a more laid back angle than my windshield currently is. I decided to experiment the very next morning. So I did. I leaned my windshield back to be more in line with the front forks and what a surprising and amazing difference it made. To drive my point home I have used Microsoft's wonderfully powerful Paint.exe program.
Before:

This caused the wind to be redirected right onto my head:

After:

This created a comfortable riding envelope and redirected the wind over my head:


Now I have a much smoother ride, with no wind buffeting, even at high(er) speeds. I can also lean back a bit in my seat and feel where the envelope ends by how my head gets buffeted around again. I was amazed at how much of a difference it made. Physics is awesome.


Update: V-Twin Power!

2 comments:

NoSurfGirl said...

jeff has yet to get out the ol' battery charger and tools and tune up his Honda (yes, don't you laugh) for spring riding purposes.

turleybenson said...

You look so happy now!