Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Quick Chick Pea Curry



For tonight's dinner we got adventurous. As a Christmas gift Nancy (holla) gave us the Martha Stewart Food Everyday magazine. Tonight we tried our first recipe. It was a different recipe for us and it was delicious. We served it over brown rice which we soaked ALL day before we cooked it. Since I generally find brown rice way to firm, it made a big difference.

Serves 4-6

INGREDIENTS:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced small
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 cinnamon stick, 3 inches (I substituted this with 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon)
1 pinch of ground cloves
2 cans (15 ounces each) no-salt-added chickpeas, rinsed and drained
3 tablespoons ketchup
1 teaspoon course salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
2 cups water
chopped cilantro and lemon wedges (optional), for serving

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a large straight-sided skillet, heat oil over medium0high. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until dark brown around edges, about 6 minutes.
2. Add garlic, curry, cinnamon, and pinch of cloves and cook, stirring until fragrant, 30 seconds.
3. Add chickpeas, ketchup, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 2 cups of water.
4. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook 20 minutes.
5. Uncover and increase heat to medium0high; cook until sauce is slightly reduced, 5 minutes.
6. Serve topped with cilantro, with lemon wedges along side if desired.

5 comments:

Molly Brown said...

Everyday Food is my favorite!!! I make recipes from it ALL the time!

Jamie Onken said...

I'm glad you liked it!

SandyKay said...

Thanks for sharing. I'm totally going to make that. I love quick chickpea dishes. Here are two that I make all the time:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chickpea-Ragout-351710

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/chana-masala

Janssen said...

I LOVE Everyday Food - it's rather embarrassing how many back issues of it I own.

Meredith said...

Seriously, who needs meat? I am crazy about chickpeas and talk about your daily dose of fiber with the brown rice to boot, I love it!