Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Fly Lady Says

For the new year I decided to embark on the new challenge of keeping my digs clean. It can get pretty bad around here.

Partly, 17 months after Elliott was born, I have my head above water again. I can set other goals besides trying to get in a shower before the day is done.

One thing I realized is that I don't know how to clean. I don't know where to begin. Old school moms (holla to Suki and Lousie) they know how it's done. Every day you do x, Every week you do Y, every month you do Z, and they throw some yearly things in there like clockwork)

My mom gives tips to me here and there but they would not stick in my brain, there was no cohesion to it.

So, I did some research and found the "FlyLady".

Really I don't know what her whole deal is, I am sure I could do some research and give you a full bio but I really don't care, this lady tells me how to clean and what to clean EVERY DAY. It is like she is my boss but she can't fire me so if I decide to skip an assignment, I can.

And I do.

I don't do everything because I am knew at this whole keeping house business BUT it helps me stay on course (and Jer too since I pass assignments his way).

SO we started with making our bed EVERY morning. That's huge and it makes a difference. THEN came the swipe and swish (cleaning off your bathroom sink and giving the toilet a swish every day). Now I don't do the swipe and swish every day but I am aware of it daily and tend to it if necessary. This helps me avoid the last minute scramble if someone pops into the house.

What I have found is that these little habits trickle out to the rest of the house. Clean begets clean it seems.

I am happy with the FlyLady. I am happy that this week she directed me to pay attention to "zone 1" the entrance way and dining room. As a result Jeremy vacuumed the front entrance and all the stairs going up to our place (he totally earned the celebrate plate tonight btw). We moved a piece of furniture that was no longer functional for us and the place looks nice.

If you struggle like I have, give her a gander. I have not properly explained all she does but it is pretty simple and straight forward. G'night.

This is what she told me to do today:

Flight Plan for Friday, February 5, 2010

Today is Friday - Declutter Your Purse and Car

Old gum and candy wrappers
Soda bottles
Scraps of paper/old receipts
Drive thru bags and cups
Jackets/coats/shoes

This Week we are in Zone 1: The Front Porch, Dining Room and Entrance

Dear Friends:

Today we are going to do that in the Dining Room and Entrance Way.
Let's go after the ceilings, light fixtures and window sills!

Using a feather duster or dust rag get the window sills, the light
fixtures, the dusties in the corners and the ceiling fan if you have
one (remember to put something underneath this to catch the falling
debris, one member uses an old pillow case and slips it over the
blade and wipes so the dust stays in the ca e, I thought this was
brilliant!)

This is one babystep at a time! Keep Flying!

Kelly


Our habit for February is: Declutter 15 minutes a day
http://www.flylady.net/pages/focus_feb.asp

Today's Reminders:

* Morning Routine:
-Get Dressed to Shoes including Hair/Face, Brush Teeth
- Make Bed
-Swish & Swipe
-Empty Dishwasher
-Reboot Laundry (a Load a Day Keeps CHAOS Away)
-Check Your Calendar
-Check Your Control Journal

* What's For Dinner?

* Drink Your Water

* Declutter for 15 Minutes

* 15 Minutes of Loving Movement (exercise)

* Before Bed Routine:
-Lay out Your Clothes for tomorrow
-Check Your Calendar
-Put things needed for tomorrow at the Launch Pad
-Where are your Keys?
-Spend Two Minutes Clearing off a Hot Spot
-Shine Your Sink
- Wash face/Brush Teeth
-Go to Bed at a Decent Hour

3 comments:

Janssen said...

Brilliant! I have her book somewhere - I should start doing it again.

Love the new header too.

The Thackers said...

I like it! Thanks for the tip...You are so funny, Rachel. I thoroughly enjoy reading your blog.

HaH said...

Cool! I'm going to try this. I'm a super-bad housekeeper and I don't have any kids so I can imagine how bad it'd get if I had small people crawling around adding to my own chaos. Probably a good habit to change now. :)